Utility-scale energy storage offers a reliable, long-term power source for local, immediate use and is easy to distribute across grid connections. Significant advancements in this technology in recent years have made it even more viable as a solution.
In 2014, the global utility-scale battery capacity was at a mere 214 MW—today it’s at 899 MW and expected to exceed 2,500 MW by 2023. A large portion of that anticipated growth is due to expanded usage of utility-scale energy storage in the United States.
This movement comes from state-based energy initiatives and Order 841 from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Under Order 841, power system operators must allow the use of utility-scale storage systems for wholesale energy and ancillary service markets.
In 2014, the global utility-scale battery capacity was at a mere 214 MW—today it’s at 899 MW and expected to exceed 2,500 MW by 2023.
Energy storage solutions also partner well with the increased focus on renewable sources. Wind and solar are popular energy sources—but they don’t provide for constant energy generation. For renewable energy to be more viable, energy from peak supply hours needs to be stored for use during non-corresponding peak demand hours.
Just like energy storage, the use of renewable energy sources has grown significantly over the past decade. In the United States, it has doubled. Dynapower can help owners of wind and solar installations make the best use of their installations through increasing access to utility-scale energy storage systems.
Dynapower’s Utility-Scale Energy Storage Systems
At Dynapower, we offer two core utility-scale energy storage solutions in our Compact Power Systems® (CPS) product line: the CPS-1500 and CPS-3000. Both systems can be used indoors or outdoors, and both offer efficient energy storage, reliable performance, and cost-effective operation.
- CPS-1500: The CPS®-1500 is a utility-grade, bi-directional, true four-quadrant 1500 kW air-cooled energy storage inverter.
- CPS-3000: The CPS®-3000 is a bi-directional, true four-quadrant, 3000 kW air-cooled energy storage inverter.
The benefits of Dynapower’s systems include:
- Built-in air cooling systems
- Compatibility with grid-tied and micro-grid environments
- Parallel installation, allowing facilities to scale up based on need
- Protective/safety features, including AC output breakers, DC disconnect switches, and fire suppression
- Affordability compared to other energy storage systems that require further spending on add-ons
- MV transformers that facilitate easy integration into any battery system
- Outdoor-rated inverters feature durable NEMA 3R containers that allow moving with lift truck
- Easy installation options for placement on gravel and concrete pylons
Dynapower also supplies fully-integrated CPS-i utility-scale energy storage systems. This includes inverters with conditioned battery enclosures, fire suppression systems, and integrated controls.
WHO WORKS WITH US
Key Technologies & Integrated Features
Before you invest in any energy storage system, it’s important to understand the capabilities it offers. Dynapower’s utility-scale solutions include these features:
Black Start is a patented system for restoring power during a partial or complete power outage without the need for power from external sources, ultimately restoring electrical functions in a timely and orderly fashion. Black Start can restart multiple MPS® units and even distribution networks where the magnetizing currents of the transformer exceed the inverter power ratings.
This Volt/Var function automatically provides voltage support to the grid immediately.
A Hertz-Watt function, F comp offers frequency support to grid automatically immediately.
This patented algorithm helps energy storage and distribution run smoothly. It monitors the stability of the grid to provide an immediate response to any disturbances that occur. For example, it can disconnect the system from the grid once disturbances are identified and shift to backup battery power. This seamless transition keeps the flow of electricity steady for critical applications and also supports 100% UF-mode phase imbalance.
Our integrated features include:
- AC breaker with shunt trip
- DC disconnect
- DC input fuses
- Forced air cooling system
Common Utility-Scale Energy Storage Applications
Dynapower is proud to provide energy storage solutions worldwide. Our systems are used in conjunction with renewable energy projects, to power island nations with 100% renewable energy sources, and to provide power to critical operations and facilities. Customers also use our systems to lower their energy bills, create micro-grids in remote locations, and more.
Common applications for our utility-scale energy storage solutions include:
- Ancillary services, such as frequency regulation, spin reserve services, and voltage control
- Backup power for businesses and critical applications
- Capacity reserve so companies can provide energy as a stand-alone asset
- Demand charge management so energy users can reduce demand during peak hours
- Load shifting, which allows users to analyze charging and discharging patterns to create an optimal schedule
- Renewable energy integration so users have energy when they need it irrespective of direct supply availability
- Transmission and distribution
Why Dynapower for Utility-Scale Energy Storage?
Dynapower is a leading provider of flexible, reliable, and efficient energy storage systems. All of our systems include world-wide access to 24/7 technical support, servicing, and preventative maintenance. Our company has been providing high-quality energy storage parts and systems since 1963.
Request a quote today or call (802) 860-7200 to learn more about the benefits of utility-scale energy storage systems. Our team is here to help answer your questions and help you find the right system for your facility’s needs.